Keep the fires burning, that is what we always say. There is nothing that compares to the ambiance of a roaring fire on a cold winter night, with the glow creating the perfect light for reading. That being said, reading by the fire is best done when your chimney is clean and Chimney Care Plus is your local Frederick chimney sweep. We have been providing our neighbors a safe environment to curl up by the fire for over ten years now. We have quickly become one of the most trusted chimney care contractors in the area. We clean and repair chimneys, install and service wood stoves, and refurbish the structural integrity of your chimney.
Reading by the fire has been a tradition for thousands of years, as electric lights did not gain widespread use until the 1930’s. The cave paintings in Lascaux, France, completed over 17,000 years ago, were made for viewing in the firelight. You can imagine the early man sitting around the fire with a freshly roasted Bison and reading the cave paintings, similar to how we would watch a trashy reality show (I am sure the themes are parallel). At this most wonderful time of year, we thought it would be a good idea to honor the masterpieces of literature. Much like the cave paintings, the written word will live on forever and continue to inspire future generations. So curl up, throw another log on the fire and grab your favorite book. Need a new favorite book? Try one of these:
- The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald: The classic cautionary tale of the consequences of excess. Jay Gatsby is a wealthy gentleman who is consumed by his lifestyle in the end. This book is an amazing piece of American history and, if you are ambitious, can be read in a short period of time.
- On The Road by Jack Kerouac: Kerouac’s tale of travel, youth and freedom in a post-war America. One of the Beat generation’s finest writers, Kerouac originally typed the manuscript on a large scroll of taped together typing paper. The semi-autobiographical story made Kerouac into an icon of the generation.
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville: A deep story, Moby Dick is not for those who want light, evening reading. Moby Dick is dense but once you get into it, it is surprisingly rich with atmosphere and characters. Set aside some time of this one, like all winter.
- Wayward Pines by Blake Crouch: You may have seen or heard about this series due to its TV show, but make no mistake, the book is so much better. Crouch is surprisingly good at creating the world of Wayward Pines and the plot twists will have you wanting more. This is a must read this winter, trust us, you will not be sorry.
- Stories by Edgar Allan Poe: The master of suspense and general weirdness, Poe has a knack of writing some awesome stories. Poe himself was a bit of a weird guy, and when reading his stories, it is easy to see why he came to such a strange ending.
Unless you are a voracious reader, the list above ought to be plenty to keep you busy this winter. Don’t forget to get some high-quality firewood and a chimney cleaning from Chimney Care Plus. We offer chimney sweep services for homeowners in Frederick, Mt. Airy, Hagerstown, Myersville, and the surrounding areas.